How to Report Copyright Infringement to Amazon
As an Amazon seller, you may have noticed that copyright infringement is becoming an increasing problem on Amazon. We often have clients contact an Amazon seller attorney at our firm, upset because they have discovered someone else copying or reproducing their original work on Amazon Marketplace without their permission. They want to know what their options are and the best way to proceed. In reality, there are a few options available to report copyright infringement on Amazon.
Reporting Via Brand Registry
If you are an Amazon seller, you may have heard of the Amazon Brand Registry. If not, it is a program that verifies owners and then provides them with access to tools that allow them to build and protect their brand. Within the brand registry, there is a Report a Violation (RAV) tool that allows you to report copyright infringement.
Reporting Via the Report Infringement Tool
If you do not have Brand Registry, you can report the violation using the “Report Infringement” tool. It is a resource that can be used by intellectual property rights owners and their agents.
Reporting Via Amazon’s Copyright Agent
- An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest;
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed upon;
- A description of where the material you claim is infringing is located on the site;
- Your address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
- A statement by you that you have a good-faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
Contacting the Infringing Seller Directly
Alternatively, you may also contact the infringing seller directly by filling out their contact form or by sending a cease-and-desist letter. A cease-and-desist letter is a document that is sent to a business or person advising them to stop their illegal infringement. These letters may state what the consequences are of not stopping the illegal conduct by a certain date. If you are considering sending a cease-and-desist letter, speak with an Amazon seller attorney. They will be able to advise you of your options and if appropriate, send the letter on your behalf.
Speak With An Amazon Seller Attorney At ESQgo to Report Copyright Infringement on Amazon
While it can be difficult to prove that someone is violating your copyright without federal registration, it is not impossible to do so. If your copyright issues remain unresolved despite reporting the violation to Amazon or reaching out to the infringing seller, get in touch with us today because there are alternative paths Amazon avails to an Amazon seller attorney.